Pear Vanilla and Ginger Crisp
Serves 8 People
Prep Time: 15 minutes - Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 6 pears (Not overly ripe. Peeled, cored & cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of coconut sugar (or raw brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract (I love Madagascar vanilla!)
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1 cup of (gluten-free) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar (or raw brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup of melted Rolling Meadow Unsalted Butter (about 4-5 tablespoons)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of coconut sugar (for sprinkling the top)
- Heat the oven to 350F
- Wash, peel, core & slice the pears. I cut them in half right across the middle and then use each 1/2 to cut vertically & then across to create pear chunks as opposed to pear slices. I find pear chunks are thicker and hold the fruit base far better.
- Toss the pear chunks, maple syrup, coconut sugar, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg to ensure and even coating.
- Place the fruit filling on a pie dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the topping: spelt flour, coconut sugar, & oats. Once well mixed, incorporate the butter & mix until it’s evenly absorbed.
- A nice doughy paste will form, use clean hands to firmly press the mixture over the pears sitting on the pie dish.
- I like to always sprinkle some coconut sugar (about 1 tbsp) across the top to ensure it caramelizes nicely.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and you see the edges bubbling with filling.
- I like to bake it by placing the pie dish over a cookie tray to ensure the bottom does not burn or dry up.
- Enjoy warm with a dollop of dairy free coconut or vanilla ice cream OR with freshly made coconut whipped cream! To.die.for.