- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 2 tsp. cane sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Rolling Meadow Dairy unsalted butter, cold
- 9 – 12 tbsp. ice cold water
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter cubes and using a pastry blender or your fingertips, break butter into small pieces in the flour until it looks like large-flake oatmeal.
2. Drizzle in cold water a little at a time, tossing with a fork until dough starts to form. Add more water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time if dry.
3. Gather up dough and knead gently, with your hands and place on a floured work surface. Roll out dough according to recipe.
4. Double Crust Pies: Divide dough in half and roll out each to fit a 9 or 10 inch (23 or 25 cm) pie plate, bottom and top, if using for pie pastry.
5. Butter Tarts: If using dough for butter tart shells, roll out to about 1/8 inch (5 mm) thick and cut out 4 inch (10 cm) circles to fit muffin tins. Gather scraps and roll out again to cut out more circles to get about 18 tart shells.
Tip: If not using right away wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let soften slightly before starting to roll dough.